The African Caravans for Climate, comprised of citizens mobilized around climate justice, will take place in 30 African countries until September 2022 to prepare to advocate for African civil society at COP 27 in Egypt. The objectives of the African Climate Caravans are to:
- Focus on listening to and amplifying the experience of communities;
- Share solutions, good practices, and influence local and national governments;
- Mobilize youth movements for climate justice;
- Highlight the impacts of climate change on African ecosystems and land;
- Highlight climate solutions that integrate traditional and local knowledge from African communities; and
- Increase pressure from African citizens on national governments and international negotiations at COP27 to reflect their realities, priorities, and aspirations better.
The different caravans will meet in Dakar and propose an open workshop to consolidate the advocacy and public mobilization of the national caravans. The objectives of this session will be to:
- celebrate the success of the national caravans by presenting their results;
- prepare the participation of the caravan delegates at the COP27; and
- Reflect on the long-term perspectives of the caravan movement.