Adaptation - Resilience
Education - Awareness-raising
Capacity building project for protection & knowledge of local species facing climate change
This initaitve aims to raise Youth's awareness on the protection on the environment and the need to take action against the harmful effects of climate change through environmental education and the creation of local plant nurseries around schools.
An initiative of Association Jeunesse Solidarité Santé (AJSS)
Overview of the project
This inspiring educational project led by AJSS has various objectives but that all include raising awareness on climate change, education and adaptation. At the same time, the goal is to create these awareness activities during the “environment week“.
This initiative aims to:
- Initiate awareness raising activities in 20 schools during the “environment week” ;
- Develop activities in schools such as the « Green Art & Photo » and « Les Homériades » ;
- Organise the installation of 20 Green nurseries comprised of 10 different varieties of local trees, chosen thanks to research of local trees.
Then, more specifically, the project aims to:
- Organise information and communication sessions on Environment education and the project to guarantee its success;
- Organise information and communication sessions in 20 targeted schools on different aspects of the project as well as choosing which teachers and parents will become “focal points” in order to facilitate the project’s success;
- Organise sessions especially for exchanges between students/pupils and “foncal points” on diverse environment-related issues, local plant varieties and mitigation and protection measures for the varieties facing climate change.
Contributing to Youth's awakening facing environmental protection in order for them to take action on the harmful effects of climate change through environmental education and the creation nurseries for local varieties of trees around schools.
- The organisation of information and communication sessions in 20 targeted schools on different aspects of the project as well as choosing which teachers and parents will become “focal points” in order to facilitate the project’s success;
- A first nursery that spreads over 2,000 feet with 10 different varieties of local plants near Dohn Primary School
- A 200 foot reserve to increase the size of the nursery
- Communication and information sessions have been organised on environment & education related issues and the project
- Exchange sessions have been organised with pupils accordingly to teachers and “focal points” on environmental questions, plant varieties and mitigation and preservations of these varieties facing climate change
- Pupils from Dohn primary school are very involved in the installation of the nursery.
Intervention fund for the environment in Burkina Faso.
Formed in April 2006, the Association for Youth, Solidarity and Health has three main objectives:
- To invite young people to get tested for HIV
- To strengthen bonds of solidarity between young people
- To monitor environmental and cultural protection