Overview of the project
Itu Andem community forest is one of the most diverse natural forests in Akwa Ibom State. Information gathered about the forest revealed that the forest inhabits various species of plants and animals of of global concern. A recognizance trip to the forest uncovered that the forest has been greatly depleted by the activities of the inhabitants of the community who depend on this forest for daily living.
This trend if not intercepted would result in the outright loss of one of the richest natural forests in the world, hence the need for its conservation.
The objective of this conservation project include the following:
- planting of five thousand (5,000) tree to replenish the forest
- organizing of conservation education for the inhabitants of the community on the need to conserve the forest
- training the youth, men and women on different crafts
- providing financial grant to the trained people to set up their businesses
- giving financial support to farmers and traders in the community
The above activities is to provide alternative source of livelihood to the inhabitants of the community who depend on the forest to earn a livingliving.
To conserve plants and animal species, and contribute to the fight against global warming and climate change.
Project still in progress
The project was self-sponsored.
In partnership with Women in Nature Conservation Organization (WINCO,) the organization – NBen Exquisite Consults – has carried out tree seedlings production, planting of trees, conservation education and training of people in different crafts.
Women in Nature Conservation Organization (WINCO)