Overview of the project
France – Lyon-Confluence, sustainable neighbourhood
Since 2000 (until 2030), the development of the Lyon-Confluence urban project takes place in an area of 150 hectares (half existing neighborhood, half new construction and public spaces). In total, this represents the construction of an additional 1 million m2, without increasing the level of greenhouse gas emissions; thanks to:
- the increase of local renewable energy production (photovoltaic & district heating)
- the construction of new buildings with high energy performance (including positive energy blocks)
- the energy renovation of the existing neighborhood (private groups of owners, social housing operators, office spaces, public facilities)
- sustainable mobility
- the development of a smart grid, via an energy data management platform.
Several international partnerships (Europe, Japan) contribute to make the Lyon-Confluence district a demonstrator for the sustainable development of Lyon Métropole.
Examples of partners working with the SPL Lyon Confluence :
- Services of Lyon Métropole – Real estate developers (Bouygues Immobilier, Linkcity, Icade, OGIC, Vinci Immobilier, Cardinal…)
- Industrial partners (Enedis, Toshiba, Dalkia, EDF, Schneider…)
- Social housing operators (Grand Lyon Habitat, Lyon Métropole Habitat, Régionale d’HLM de Lyon, Rhône Saône Habitat…)
- Private groups of owners – associations (Hespul…)
- Consultancy companies (TRIBU, Enertech…)
- Operators of electric mobility services (Navya, Keolis, CNR, Bluely…)
- Inhabitants, workers and users of the neighbourhood
- European Commission
- Caisse des Dépôts (French financial institution)
Doubling the size of the Lyon city centre without increasing the greenhouse gas emissions
- 500,000 m2 of new buildings with high environmental performance (passive buildings or positive energy block).
- Energy renovation confirmed for 70,000 m2 of old buildings.
- Total power installed of photovoltaic installations higher than 2MW.
Relevance of the governance: private company with public shareolders, created by Lyon Métropole, to develop the Lyon-Confluence urban project. Multi-stakeholder public-private partnerships.
Private and public funding (local public investment, land sale, French and International calls...)
- “Hikari” city block © Aurélie Pétrel / SPL Lyon Confluence
- Eco-renovation works at “Cité Perrache” ©Jérémy Mathieu / SPL Lyon Confluence
- NAVLY, an autonomous electric shuttle ©Laurence Danière / SPL Lyon Confluence
Vidéo presentation of the project
To implement the Lyon-Confluence urban project, Lyon Métropole created an ad hoc company: the Local Public Company “SPL Lyon Confluence”. As urban developer of the neighborhood, the assignments of this company concern: urban planning studies, land control, new construction, renovation of the existing neighborhood, public spaces, consultation, information and communication.