Open streets initiative
Open streets sessions block portions of urban roads from motorized vehicles for a period of time to enable children, women, persons with disability, older persons, all pedestrians and cyclist posses the road and urban space.
Overview of the project
Open streets session block portions of urban roads from motorized vehicles for a period of time to enable children, women, persons with disability, older persons, all pedestrians and cyclist posses the road and urban space. We do this in collaboration with city authorities, police, climate change stakeholders, and the ministries of health and transportation. Air quality is measured and compared to normal, busy workdays to see the benefits of clean mobility, body temperature and other basic health tests are performed free of charge for participants, and many activities take place as people wish:
- Workout/yoga sessions, children cycling and skating competitions, dance/drama, wheel chair race, school street debate, poetry and art exhibitions take place;
- Advocacy messages, leaflets are distributed and campaigns take place on the dangers of current mobility practices to man and his earth. Politicians and city leaders participate and sign commitments to change the narratives to evolve policies and infrastructures that support green, healthy, safe and sustainable mobility and public spaces in our city.
The project's purpose is to change how people perceive, invest and use urban roads in a manner that does not endanger man and his earth.
16th March, 2019 - 4th December, 2022
The 3 editions so far held has led to the city authority setting up a committee which is currently reviewing existing road design to restore cycling lanes in the city of Abuja and we are collaborating with them to achieve this. 2 major publications has been released which provides guidelines for city authorities and a result and at least students from 60 schools in Abuja have been adequately enlightened on green, safe sustainable mobility and road safety.
Funding are drawn from local participating organizations with support.
Ochenuel Mobility is a sustainable urban mobility and road safety organization with focus on urban transport related project development and management, transportation engineering, training and advocacy, mobility for vulnerable groups such as women, children, persons with disability, older persons, motorization and climate change issues and general transport equity for citizens. We are involved in small and large scale projects on sustainable urban mobility and road safety related to policy development, capacity building, research and feasibility studies, and urban transport system management. We founded the Africa Sustainable Urban Mobility Course, and Open Street Abuja.
Other partners include the :
- Federal Capital Development Authority
- FCT Transportation Secretariat
- Department of Road Traffic Services
- The Federal Road Safety Corps
- Hope for Possibility Foundation
- Center for Citizens with Disability
- Cycling Federation of Nigeria