Overview of the project
Footprints Africa, Circle Economy, and the African Circular Economy Network (ACEN) are working to build an open-source dataset of circular economy case studies focusing on Africa. We aim to amplify the platform of circular businesses, and connect businesses with insights into what’s possible in different African contexts.
We believe that the stories that we are uncovering have tremendous potential to inspire action, but information about the circular economy in Africa is still fragmented, and often difficult to access. This means that people have few tangible examples of circular economy business successes outside of the Northern hemisphere.
Our goal is to build:
- An open-source set of at least 500 circular case studies, with analysis of data and identification of emerging trends
- A network of circular entrepreneurs and professionals, with strong regional representation, for deeper collaboration
- A knowledge community which will improve the quality and integrity of data over the longer term
- Greater understanding of the enabling environment for the circular economy and opportunities for system change
Dataset of circular case studies focusing on Africa: we aim to amplify the platform of circular economy businesses, and connect businesses with insights into what’s possible in different African contexts.
11/04/2019 - project still in progress
- Collected 130 circular economy case studies from across Africa
- Interviewed 30 circular economy entrepreneurs
- Published our first report outlining circular economy in practice across six sectors in Africa
- Developed a geo-located map of African circular economy initiatives, supported by GRID-Arendal
- Formalised partnerships with the African Circular Economy Network (ACEN), the African Circular Economy Alliance (ACEA,) and Circle Economy
- Pioneered an Africa-specific collection of cases studies on Circle Economy’s newly launched Knowledge Hub.
- Delivered workshops with our project results
- Organisations featured in our report were given exposure and invited onto other platforms
We self-funded the beginning of the project, but we have currently prepared a funders note to seek further financing. We are looking to expand the project, and reach out for more cases on the continent.
Footprints Africa supports SMEs to adopt future-friendly practices, address the challenges of growth, and create jobs using value chains as a tool for development. Focusing on the catering and commercial waste management sectors in Ghana, we are championing business as a force for good, and piloting new business models that exemplify this. We advance sustainable, scalable, and inclusive approaches for the development of African economies. We are a charity registered in the UK and Ghana, and exist for public benefit.
Since 2018, we have been working with African business initiatives that are championing the circular economy transition. As well as building open access resources, we are focusing on helping circular businesses measure their impact and circularity, and explore ways of improving value creation and capture.
in collaboration /div>
African Circular Economy Network
The African Circular Economy Network (ACEN) is an NGO, whose mission is to build a restorative African economy that generates well-being and prosperity inclusive of all its people.
Circle Economy is an NGO whose mission is to accelerate the practical and scalable implementation of the circular economy.