Overview of the project
After a first edition held in Uganda from September 28 to October 1, 2017, the 2018 edition of the Africa Conference of Youth (ACOY), the first of its kind in a West African and francophone country, will be held in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso from November 1 to 3, 2018. Placed under the theme “Implementation of the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) of African countries, the Paris Agreement and Talanoa Dialogue: What contribution from the African youth”, it will bring together 500 young people from all African countries and the Diaspora. It will contribute to prepare the youth of the continent for current and future climate change issues, the challenges of implementing the Paris Agreement, as well as active participation in the COY 14 and COP 24 to be held in December 2018 in Poland.
ACOY 2018 will also be one of the levers for an active contribution from African youth to the Talanoa Dialogue and the current process of implementing the Paris Agreement.
The overall objective of the 2018 African Conference of Youth, as a lever for an active contribution of African youth to the current Talanoa Dialogue process and implementation of the Paris Agreement, is to sustainably mobilize youth around current and future climate issues, challenges for achievement of the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SGD) and to prepare them for active participation in COY 14 and COP 24 to be held in December 2018 in Poland.
Gathering together 500 young people from all over Africa.
During the ACOY 2018, the following outcomes should be achieved:
- Strengthening of African youth capabilities through trainings, conferences and panels.
- Effective training of youth delegates to ensure their active participation in COY 14 and COP 24 Poland 2018.
- Facilitate knowledge and experience sharing on best practices in terms of innovative and sustainable solutions for climate change adaptation and mitigation on the continent and beyond.
- Strengthening of collaboration between youth associations and networks committed to the environment and climate change with a view to synergize actions for improved impact in our communities.
- Determination of the government’s actions resulting from Burkina Faso’s NDC and the Paris Agreement, as well as the actions to be implemented by the youth within the framework of our country’s commitments.
- Determination of the youth’s position and the actions to be implemented in the framework of monitoring of our country’s commitments.
- Identification and promotion of resilient climate actions that can contribute to the achievement of the SGD.
- Give visibility to the actions of Burkinabe and African youth in the field.
- Beneficial reception of the image of a green Burkina Faso and Burkinabe companies by the youth of African countries.
- Encourage active participation of Burkinabe and African youth in COY 14 and COP 24.
The main activities of the CONAJEC (National Youth Organization for the Environment and Climate) are:
- Training programs on climate change, the environment and other related issues;
- Communication and awareness-raising among young people on environmental protection and preservation and responsible behaviour for sustainable development;
- Youth social mobilization;
- Sustainable impact actions such as reforestation; and
- Studies, research advice, and advocacy.
in collaboration /div>