Overview of the project
Cryosolar® is a solution for producing cold and electricity from renewable energy. This autonomous solar-powered cold room meets the challenges of preserving sensitive and perishable products (food, health, medical). With its innovative cold storage solution (“cold battery”, a green technology patented by VALOREM), Cryosolar® guarantees reliable and continuous cold 24/7, even in the absence of sunlight.
The rapid installation of the container (a few days) guarantees easy redeployment, ensuring progressive coverage of the territory and enabling the economic development of isolated areas not connected to the grid.
This unique solution for the production and storage of cold and electricity from renewable energy sources is based on a clean and environmentally friendly process. In addition to its environmental benefits, Cryosolar® allows the revitalisation of territories, while encouraging the local economy and the economic development of rural areas.
Cryosolar® is a self-contained solar cold room designed to meet the challenges of conservation in isolated areas.
01/01/2021 - Project still in progress
After nearly 3 years of development, aimed at validating the technological innovation of our “cold battery”:
- The first CryoSolar (demonstrator) was installed in January 2021 on the island of Désirade in Guadeloupe ;
- The second will be commissioned on the fishing dock of Mbour in Senegal during the week of 27 June 2021;
- Finally, a third demonstrator will be installed on the fishing dock of Fass Boye (Senegal) in December 2021.
These demonstrators are made available free of charge to local beneficiaries (fishermen’s collective in Guadeloupe, GIEI in Senegal). A dedicated mobile management application has been created to facilitate the appropriation of the system and to manage the input-output flows as well as possible.
- Since its installation at the beginning of January 2021, the CryoSolar has never had to rely on the backup power grid to which it is connected. This proves the robustness and autonomy of the system in real-life conditions.
- As the CryoSolar is equipped with numerous sensors, all of the data collected provides complete feedback on the operating cycles (temperature, electricity production/consumption etc.) The usage data collected during the summer on the Mbour dock will be presented during the sustainable mobility and climate week in Dakar.
- To date, several dozen kilos of fish are stored daily in the CryoSolar, allowing for better conservation of the fish, and thus, a boost to the local economy linked to the better valorisation of products of better quality.
The two Senegalese demonstrators were financed up to 30% by the French Global Environment Facility (FGEF), the rest being financed by VALOREM's own funds.
The VALOREM Group is an independent, vertically integrated green energy operator with multiple skills in renewable energy. A pioneer in wind power in France, VALOREM also develops and produces solar photovoltaic farms and small hydroelectric power plants. VALOREM is present in France, Finland, Greece and Colombia.
VALOREM also develops R&D projects such as CryoSolar, the current project presented here.
The project in Senegal is being developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Fisheries and Maritime Economy (MPEM) of Senegal, as well as with the support of the Senegalese National Agency for Renewable Energies (ANER).