Overview of the project
An ecological construction project in the region of Illizi in Kabylia, “Eco-dome” participates to the creation of an eco-park in the Ihrir oasis, between the villages of Djanet and Bordj Elhaouas. Based upon a storage technique, biodegradable earth-filled bags are interspersed with galvanised barbed wire, laid on a gravel trench then burnt from the inside to allow the earth to flow in an ochre coloured circular shape. The natural materials and technique are adapted to the mountainous and rocky terrain, as well as to the Saharan climate, thanks to the conscious interpretation of an ancient architectural heritage specific to the Illizi region, the Zriba. The project aims to protect the natural heritage of the Ihrir oasis, while at the same time raising awareness and training young people in ecological building techniques.
- Overall surface area of the land: Three hectares
- Surface area to be realised: 30,000 m2
- Start date: 2018
An experimental centre dedicated to nature and the children of Ihrir Oasis.
Construction of 11 blocks.
Construction of an ecological eco-dome.
Algeria National Hydrocarbons Company
Created in 2013, AEDD is a professional environmental association based in Illizi. AEDD organises and animates meetings, workshops, conferences and trainings, develops dynamics of exchange, and participates in the development of the territory with citizens, as well as private, public and associative actors with the aim of:
- Stimulating public interest and awareness of the environment and protection of natural resources,
- Encouraging transition to a green economy and taking advantage of renewable energies,
- Contributing to increase green space and the fight against desertification, and
- Implementing environmental projects to meet the needs of civil society.
AEDD promotes exchanges between associations working in the field of ecology, nature, environment and sustainable development.