Conservatoire Botanique de Casamance
The Association of the Botanical Conservatory of Casamance has created the first botanical conservation site in Senegal and participates in the environmental education of the young generations of pupils and students in the area.
Overview of the project
Creation of the first botanical conservation site in Senegal and nonexistent until now in Senegambia in neighbouring countries.
The planned complex, based on preservation and environmental education, intends to decline other activities that respond to several United Nations SDGs.
To participate in the environmental education of the young generations of pupils and students of the area.
To create activity in a relatively isolated sector, to instil professional vocations (training, handicrafts, valorization, ecotourism).
Contribute to the repopulation of the village of Boulogne which had deserted the village and has only been back for 4 years, this project intends to open up the area.
Reflected response to the impoverishment of soils in the long term and the deforestation and monoculture of cashew trees
Relaunch of rice cultivation in the area.
To create the first botanical conservatory of Senegal in Casamance, on a site of 36ha already acquired (in finalization of extension to 100ha). This project based on the botanical conservation of the rare and or threatened species as well as the environmental education also aims at relaunching the reasoned rice growing, to collaborate with the researchers and the other conservatories throughout the world. To contribute to the valorization of local products through training, to the opening up of the area "in remigration", to reforestation, and to responsible ecotourism.
11/25/2014 - project still in progress
- The population and village authorities, firmly believing in the project, have made available by deliberation a vast site (in the process of extension) with a particular biotope conducive to the creation of the conservatory, whose activities will generate training and employment
- Construction of more than 700m of dikes protecting the rice fields
- Desalination of the water level (5ha) to accommodate the aquatic plants.
- Construction of the interpretation hut to welcome the schoolchildren of the area. Financing of the fence of the first nursery on site of 1000m2. Preparation at the Florikunda Arboretum of thousands of nurseries and different plant collections waiting to be transferred to the conservatory site.
- Construction of 3 navigable dugouts
- Creation and printing of the “2020/2030 Strategic Plan” document
- Creation of the document entitled “Global budget forecast
- Approaches to institutions, NGOs, universities, schools, scientific institutions (CIRAD) and tourism
- Excellent feedback on the initiative and promising contacts for international collaborations via social networks (Instagram)
For the moment on own funds, membership fees, private donations and donations from supporters.
To use the expertise of some of our members for the conservation of the botanical heritage and the fauna of the area. To transmit to the populations the urgency to get involved through education Env. To relaunch the reasoned rice growing with the groups of women. To train in the valorization of local products. Center for access to primary health care. Collaboration with scientists and students, advice on sustainable urbanization, organization of awareness conferences, beekeeping, reception of visitors, amenity space, preservation of regional cultural heritage.
Ministère de l'environnement du Sénégal
Ambassade de france à Dakar
National soccer team coach Aliou Cissé, a native of the area, is a project sponsor
- Ms Fatou Ndoye (Washington, UNEP)
- Senegal CSR Network
- The French Embassy for its support of the visit of Mr Fanch le Hire, director of the French-speaking botanical gardens
- The conservatories of Nancy, Nantes and Brest (Fr) the botanical garden of Neuchâtel (Sui)
- The Macoline garden of Anthala and the Arboretum Tulear (Madagascar)
- Mr Regis Crisnaire, curator of the botanical garden of Paris (Serres d’Auteuil) for seed exchange and other advices
- the group of study and protection of birds (association ALPALIS)
- The prefecture of the department of Ziguinchor
- The water and forests
- Protocols of agreement are being updated, due to certain changes in positions: National School of
- Water and Forests
- Senegalese Institute of Agricultural Research (ISRA)
- Association of Scientific Memories of Senegal
- the General Inspectorate of the Environment
- the General Inspection of Tourism
- The regional inspection of national education
- Department of Agroforestry of Assane Seck University of Ziguinchor